COMP 398: Independent Study
The student and a sponsoring faculty member will determine an advanced topic for the student to work on.
Variable (presently 1-3)
Undergraduate Program Director approval
Independent study of selected topics in computer science under the
supervision of a faculty member.
- Find a professor who is interested in supervising what you want to
do, or who has a project in mind that you are interested in doing.
Look to professors you have had, or look at the research page on the
web describing ongoing projects, or just ask professors.
- Discuss details of what your work will entail, the number of units of
credit, and the expectations for grading.
- Write an email back to the professor, confirming the details of your
discussion. Also include the semester you want to register, the
number of units, and your student number (to aid the final
registration). All this data is essential.
- The professor should respond, copying your data, and agreeing with
your request, and the email should be copied to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The department administrator should email all concerned when the
registration is completed.
Knowledge of an advanced topic.